If you have followed my Instagram page or read a few ‘raw’ skin stories on this blog, then you’ll know skin problems have haunted me for a very long time. Acne, pigmentation, scarring, marks…. heck, I’m 34 now and still wake up with the same battles I did when I was 16!
Well, that’s kinda an exaggeration. Over the years I’ve had some good runs and some baddens’ …. so no two years have ever really been the same. I’d say now, my ‘active acne’ is calming down, but I’m still prone to jaw and cheek breakouts occasionally. It’s more the pigmentation, marks, and fine lines that have now become my biggest worry.
One of my most successful facial treatments to date was hands down a series of 3 facial peels by skincare brand IMAGE – carried out at The Lynton Clinic in Cheshire. I could happily start talking about it on here with raving reviews, but I dedicated a whole post to it here, so if you’re interested, take a read. In short, it was a non-invasive series of facial peels called a Lightening Lift, which did exactly what the name suggests. It lightly lifts the areas of pigment, marks and scarring and lightens them to blend into your skin, and in some cases, completely fade. Of course, it depends on the severity to begin with.
After my treatments, I started to get into the range of skincare by IMAGE. Their ILUMA range was a key one for me, where the serum and the brightening exfoliating powder were a dream for me, post-treatments.
But anyway, like I said, I could rave about that for ages. Today I’m here to talk about a different product from their AGELESS range, which now I’m 34, has become quite suitable for me. If you didn’t already know, I recommend products with Retinol in them for anyone who asks for help with fine lines and aging. And as the Image Ageless line utilises Alpha Hydroxy Acid blends, Nutri Peptides, Retinol, brightening agents and anti oxidants to produce younger looking skin, I had a feeling this particular product was going to be just lovely for my slowly but surely aging skin…
Ageless Total Overnight Retinol Masque by Image Skincare Ingredients:
- Kemspheres– Lipid Spheres allowing slow release actives for less irritation.
- 3% Retinol– This is the hero ingredients here, as Retinol is the king of fighting ageing of the skin. It works by increasing cell turnover at the same time as stimulating collagen and elastin, so the skin is kept as fresh, renewed and elastic as it possibly can. If you;re like me and have sun damage and pigmentation, the shedding of the skin cells will also work on this, too. 3% is quite a high amount, but combined with the Kemspheres it balances out so that the retinol won’t be too harsh.
- Senestem– Plant derived stem cell, improves brightness and firmness by 30% in 3 days.
- Solumoist– A vegetable alternative to Hyaluronic acid for hydration
- Marine filling spheres with water bank technology, said to smooth wrinkles by 30% in one hour.
- Syn Coll– a tripeptide that boosts collagen production and prevents it’s breakdown.
How often do I use this overnight Retinol masque?
The AGELESS Total Overnight Retinol Masque is advised to be used a maximum of 2-3 nights week. I have been using it for 2 nights a week max, and I feel that suits me fine, so ideally I’d start with that as retinol can sometimes take a while to adapt to your skin, especially if you are new to using it.
As the name suggests, you keep this on through the night, so kind of the same way you would a night cream. It’s because its more intense that they call it a ‘masque’, which is to be rinsed off with warm water (or cleanser of your choice) the next morning.
I started by applying a thin amount to my skin while I built up a tolerance. I’d been using salicylic acid and glycolic acid for a while, to fight some outbreaks I’d bee having, so it had been a while since I had used retinol.
My results: IMAGE Skincare Ageless Total Overnight Retinol Masque review
First up, the product itself comes in a sleek white and silver/grey bottle which looks quite premium on my bedside table. I leave it here to remind me to use this overnight, as if I put it in a bathroom drawer I could easily forget! The bottle in comes in itself is a handy airless jar, that dispenses the right amount of product per pump. Usually just two pumps are all I need to lightly apply the masque.
It feels like a luxurious rich night cream, in which some aspects I guess it is. It does absorb quickly though, so I never go to bed feeling like I’ve got a masque on, if you know what I mean. It soaks into the skin in a matter of seconds, so no tacky mask feeling, or worrying about rolling over onto your pillow.
As mentioned above, retinol products can cause havoc if you’re new to them, in the first few days especially. But don’t worry – by ‘havoc’, I mean a bit of dryness and redness, depending on your skin type. If you have slightly sensitive skin you’ll notice it more, and it should always reside in a few days once your skin adapts.
This is why it’s a good idea to use this masque twice a week maximum for the first few weeks, in my opinion. Now I have quite angry, acne prone skin, and you can see from the below photos, which were taken 2 weeks after using the product (4/5 uses in) that my skin actually doesn’t look ‘angry’.
Sure, I have pigmentation, jaw acne and marks. But I’ve been known to have very red, sore looking skin before, and as I do have slightly sensitive skin I thought my angry area would flare up once the retinol was applied. But luckily, just fresh, calm looking skin for me.
There was a slight element of light peeling around my jaw line breakout on the second time that I used it, and I felt on the first week, I looked a little pink when it sank in. The pink had faded by the morning, and luckily by week two none of this returned. That being said, I’ve used retinol lots before in the past, so if you are a newbie to it, do expect a little more.
I’ve been using the masque now for around 6 weeks, and it’s difficult to gauge how much my skin has improved. What I can say, is that the morning after I use it, I always wake up fresher looking with a glow. Even my partner commented, and he’s a real annoying one for telling me when my skin looks worse, or ‘redder’. So when he says I have a glow, I know he genuinely means it.
Here’s a few other things I’ve discovered:
- My skin looks brighter, with more of a healthy look to it, a little more ‘awake’ and like I’ve had a bloomin’ good sleep.
- It certainly feels firmer, and looks more toned to me. I’ve also noticed along with the toning, my pores seem smaller. I don’t think this masque actively promotes the shrinking of pores although it does aim to refine the skin. The open pores on my nose and tops of cheeks is where I definitely first spotted this.
- Fine lines seem a little ‘relaxed’, and not as deep set. I don’t have too many, but around my eyes they are terrible, both from aging and years of squinting. It’s more the finer lines that surround the outer areas of the eyes that appear more ‘blended’ – is potentially the best word to use – with an overall softer appearance
- My skin looks calm and fresh, and my acne isn’t affected or troubled when using this masque. Overall it’s that brighter, healthier look that has got me thinking I might start up-ing my usage to three times a week.
- It’s what I call your ‘treatment’ product – that extra step for fighting a skin issue. In this case, I’d give it the thumbs up for treating harsh lines, dull skin, and sagging/lack-lustre skin.
Where to buy Ageless Total Overnight Retinol Masque by Image Skincare
Ageless Total Overnight Retinol Masque by Image Skincare doesn’t come cheap, but high quality, higher percentage retinol products aren’t cheap, because you’re investing in the ingredients. You also don’t need much of this to start doing what it says it does!
The IMAGE Skincare Ageless Total Overnight Retinol Masque comes in at £85 for 48g, and you can shop here and also find out more info too.