If you’ve got a short city break booked, it’s important to pack all the essentials and plan well beforehand. There’s nothing worse than checking in to your hotel room, opening your bag, and realising you’ve forgotten to pack your favourite pair of jeans!
A lot of airlines nowadays charge for baggage, so if you can get away with packing light, it’s totally worth it.
Of course, what you pack depends very much on the type of city break you’ve booked. From an educational trip around a historic city to a weekend of retail therapy in the top shopping cities in the UK, I’ve put together this guide to get you ready no matter what break you’re taking!
The romantic city break
Escaping from the everyday routine with a trip away together as a couple?
This type of city break is perfect for recharging your batteries, as well as getting some all-important together time with your significant other.
If you’re going for the classic couple’s break, no doubt you have plans for a fancy meal out in one of the city’s top restaurants. So, the high priorities for packing are:
- Your favourite going-out outfit, whether it’s a statement dress or a sleek pair of straight legged jeans and a nice top. Don’t forget a blazer for if the evenings get chilly….
- Make-up (if you wear it!)
- Face: Moisturiser, primer, foundation, concealer, translucent powder, highlighter, contour, bronzer, blush.
- Eyes: Eyeshadow primer, eyeshadow palette, mascara, eyelash curlers, fake lashes.
- Brows: Tweezers, eyebrow pencil, eyebrow brush, eyebrow pomade.
- Lips: Sugar-scrub, lip pencil, lip balm, lipstick or gloss.
- Misc: Perfume, mirror, setting spray, make-up wipes, brushes.
A weekend in the city
Whether you’re heading to see the sights on your own or with friends, a trip to a new city can be an exciting way to spend your weekend. But getting lost in a new city is a little too much excitement.
Your key packing items for this adventure are:
- Comfy walking shoes
- A hoodie in case it gets chilly!
- A good duster coat, like the one above
- An umbrella
- Power bank for your phone (so you always have your phone GPS with you)
- Emergency money
- Especially if you’re travelling to a city on your own, you should have some emergency funds tucked away from your wallet or purse. There’s a number of ways you can do this: you can invest in a money belt or security belt that has a hidden compartment or use a scarf with a secret pocket. A cheap crafty way is to take an old lipstick or lip balm tube, empty it and wash it, then roll up a note or two in there and pop it in your pocket!
If you’re planning to head out on the night, you can add our romantic city break list to your packing checklist too.
A spa weekend
Spa weekends are becoming an increasingly popular choice, thanks to the wellness and health trend. And let’s face it, any trend that encourages us to slow down, take a breath and just relax is a trend we can get behind!
There’s a bit of spa etiquette everyone should be aware of so that all guests can relax, and you can pack accordingly:
- Your comfiest clothes — comfort over style here
- Two swimming costumes; one to keep dry for treatments, and one for swimming in
- Flip-flops, for hygiene reasons
- A bathrobe (the spa might provide one, but if you have your own favourite, take it!)
- Towels (better to be safe than sorry)
- Hair ties and/or clips
- A good book — definitely time for a digital detox here
Heading to a convention or gig
Conventions and gigs are both fantastic events for fans of everything from comic books, movies, TV shows, and music. Make sure you pack the right way to get the most out of these events! Other than your tickets, ID, and spending money, be sure to take:
- Comfy shoes, as you’ll be on your feet a lot
- An outfit that tells the world what you’re a fan of! Whether it’s your favourite band shirt for a gig, or a geeky reference on a hoodie, this is the place to show it off
- Deodorant, and a mini-deodorant for when you’re actually at the venue. These places can heat up fast with the amount of people packed in to the hall, so you’ll need a top-up
- A portable charger for all those photos and videos!
What city break essentials do you always forget to pack? Follow our checklist next time to ensure you have the vital components to a great weekend away!