As much as I try and be cautious of what I consume, there’s no denying my chocolate and sweet treat obsession. I hold off as best I can, but I actually find myself dreaming of cake, biscuits and chocolate on a daily basis. Meh.
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll probably have seen my abundance of stories in the morning about my chocolatey porridge. If you haven’t, I’ll sum in up briefly: I simply put a teaspoon of Raw Organic Cacao Powder into my oats, along with soya vanilla protein powder and almond milk, and I have the most deliiiiiicious chocolatey/vanilla tasting hot porridge.
The main thing here is that it’s without the guilt. YAS!
This blog post here for my cacao and coffee muffins went down a storm, so I thought I’d put a quick one together about using raw cacao in smoothies and hot drinks instead of cocoa powder. In a nutshell, cacao contains only natural sugars and is packed with essential minerals, making it a healthy food option.
How to Make Tasty, Healthy Cacao Smoothies
You Will Need:
- x2 Bananas (chopped)
- x2 Tablespoons Cacao Powder
- x2 Scoops MyProtein Soya Vanilla Protein Powder
- As much almond milk as you like, I use 2-3 cups
- x1 Small pot of Alpro Coconut Yoghurt (optional but I always use this! So tasty and thick and creamy…)
- Optional: Peanut butter, Manuka Honey, Avocados or Cinnamon
*Note – The Raw Cacao I used is from My Superfoods
- Place the mashed up/chopped up bananas into your smoothie maker, along with the protein powder and cacao powder
- Pour in the Alpro Coconut Yoghurt
- Fill with the almond milk
- Add any additional ingredients at this point
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until a thick, smooth and creamy consistency is formed
- Pour into glasses – and enjoy!
How to Make Raw Hot Cacao (Healthy Hot Chocolate)
This is super simple – it’s literally the same as a standard hot chocolate with just a few tweaks.
Remember that Raw Cacao is more bitter and stronger tasting than chocolate – you will raw honey or sweetener to taste it up unless you can handle the bitter taste.
You Will Need:
- 1 Tablespoon Raw Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 Cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon raw honey/ 1 teaspoon sweetener
- Optional: sprinkle of cinnamon!
- Pop the cacao powder into your favourite mug
- Pour over hot almond milk, or you can top up with cold almond milk, blend together, and heat in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Blend together, as you’ll notice the cacao can bubble up in clumps at the top, so just keep stirring and top up with a splash of hot water if needed.
- Add the honey or sweetener and continue to stir
- Your healthy hot chocolate is ready to drink!