Last night I baked up this lovely homemade raspberry crumb bar recipe and I was over the moon with how it turned out!
Basically, I wanted to create a sweet treat snack that had that bakewell tart-esque taste, except I didn’t have the right ingredients to make a real bakewell tart style bake. So, armed with frozen raspberries and blackberries in a freezer back, I took them out to defrost for a few hours before deciding I was going to make a raspberry crumble style delight that could be cut into squares and served as raspberry crumb bars!
The end result was crunchy, crumbly, rich and buttery soft, all in one. Delightful!
It was super easy to make too, and I’m going to get straight into what you need to create this and how to bake it…
Ingredients for Raspberry Crumb Bars
x1 1/2 cups flour (I used plain)
x12 tablespoons cold butter cut into sticks
x1 teaspoon baking soda
x1 cup of rolled oats (I may have slightly gone over this measurement but it really doesn’t matter)
x1 cup caster sugar
x1 1/2 cups of fruit – I chose raspberries and blackberries defrosted
1. Firstly add flour, butter, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl and mix to combine.
2. Add rolled oats and then start to make a crumb mixture with your hands, similar to when baking scones. You should soon be able to pat the mixture together into a dough, which is quite dry and crumb like but holds together.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and press half the mixture from the bowl onto the tray. Bake for 15 mins until golden brown.
4. After 15 mins, take out the tray and mix together fruits with a tablespoon of caster sugar and a tablespoon of cornflour. Spread the mixture on top of the baked layer.
5. Top the fruit layer with the remaining crumb mix – sprinkle on and pile as high as you like. Bake for a further 15-20 mins.
I chose to leave mine to cool on it’s own for around an hour before cutting it into squares or having a nibble! I did see on other recipes that you can also chill in the fridge for a little while too.
Love this recipe – the result was fantastic and I don’t think this will last very long in our home!