Those empty streets, quiet neighbourhoods, and closed shops are not figments of anyone’s imagination. As the country tries to deal with the coronavirus epidemic, more states highly recommend their people to stay at home.
While being at home for a day or two may be great, it can be a struggle if it reaches a week or even months. People can be prone to cabin fever, which is a feeling of restlessness and irritability when confined in a small space for an extended period. It can increase stress levels, which are not excellent for physical and mental health.
How can families thrive amid quarantine? Here are a few ideas:
1. Get the Kids Busy and Entertained
Parents these days will have to deal with more things besides working from home successfully. They may also have to teach their children and keep them occupied as much as possible. This way, they are less likely to throw tantrums and distract moms and dads from their jobs.
For those who forgot to supply themselves, they can look for boutiques in Phoenix, Arizona, that sell gifts for babies. These include plush toys and children’s books. Other options include:
- Installing YouTube Kids on mobile devices
- Creating a rewards system to encourage them to help in household chores
- Setting aside time for family play and interaction
It’s worth making sure your children have a large variety of toys to keep them as occupied as possible, and potentially durable one which are going to last many weeks bashing them around in the house! Ideally, personalised wooden gifts are great toys for children, especially when they can be stored in a personalised wooden toy box, too!
2. Create a Calming Space
The feeling of uncertainty can increase the odds of anxiety, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). For those suffering from these problems, they may have to talk to their therapist or psychiatrist for possible medications or interventions.
They may also create a calming space in their home. For example, they may light scented candles while curling on the couch with a book in hand. For the ones who are religious, they may keep their prayer books nearby or in more conspicuous areas. They may also consider doing the following:
- Have a dedicated calming corner, where they feel they can get lost in their thoughts and work on their minds.
- Consider a furniture-free area, so there’s plenty of room to move and do exercises such as yoga.
- Meditate or play the Tibetan singing bowl.
- Listen to calming, relaxing, instrumental music.
Don’t forget, if it is you who is feeling like your problems have gotten worse since the pandemic started and you’ve been confined into your home, with more time in those four walls, you won’t be alone. However it’s best to action those feelings of stress and depression. A good place to start is to check out some articles which provide help and support, like those at BetterHelp.
3. Be Kind
People’s fight-or-flight response these days may be through the roof, and it’s human instinct to try to fight for survival. The way to reduce this can be to do the opposite-be kind and give back.
According to a 2003 research by the University of Massachusetts, altruistic behavior may boost mental health. It redirects the focus outward, so people have less time to brood or ruminate. It also provides individuals greater sense of purpose and improves the feeling of belongingness. It reminds people that they are not alone with their struggle.
There are many ways to be kind and generous without having to leave home:
- Donate to charities, non-profits, and other organizations that are supporting front-line workers.
- Check up on friends and family members, especially those who are living alone.
- Shop only for the family’s needs.
- Follow government orders to stay at home to avoid spreading or contracting the disease.
- Provide online training or classes to friends and family.
The pandemic is disrupting people’s regular lives, and it may continue to do so for the next months. For many, hunkering down is one of the effective ways to slow down its effects to avoid overburdening the healthcare system. As early as now, it’s best to prepare with these three doable tips.