Who doesn’t love granola bars? They’re delicious, affordable, easy to pack, and can be a no-nonsense breakfast substitute. The only problem is, most of the store-bought options are packed full of sugar and preservatives.
This is why we’ve come up with an all-natural granola bar recipe that makes use of the superfood, matcha. This take on the breakfast staple elevates it to superfood level, as matcha happens to contain 137x the antioxidants of your typical green tea. How? Matcha is the whole tea leaf stone ground into a powder which means you are consuming the full health benefits of green tea.
This healthy recipe makes use of premium quality matcha tea from Zen Green Tea.
Here’s the recipe to make 14 bars:
- 2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if required)
- 1 cup pepitas
- 1 ½ cups puffed rice cereal (unsweetened – quinoa, rice, millet etc.)
- ¼ cup dried fruits, roughly chopped (we recommend raisins, figs, dates & prunes)
- ¼ cup chopped toasted almonds
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1/3 cup brown rice malt syrup
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Spread the oats and pepitas on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the oats are golden brown and have a nutty aroma. Stir them several times during baking to ensure even colouring.
- While the oats and pepitas are baking, mix the brown rice malt syrup, maple syrup, tahini, coconut oil and vanilla in a small saucepan. Whisk to mix the ingredients, being careful not to overheat the mixture.
- In a large bowl, add the cooled oats and pepitas to the dried fruit, nuts, puffed rice, salt and matcha powder. Pour the wet ingredients in and quickly mix to combine.
- Pour the mix into a lined shallow pan, pressing it firmly (especially in the corners).
- Refrigerate for a few hours to let the mixture firm, then remove and slice it into bars. These granola bars can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Note: Have a special occasion coming up? These granola bars make a fantastic gift for your love done- you can try wrapping them in parchment paper and tie with brown twine.
Want to learn more about matcha? Read about matcha health benefits here.